Here we have a large and impressive oil on canvas of The Royal Children Inn, Nottingham, from around 1898, by Arthur Goodwin.
Monogrammed lower right in red.
Very little is known about Arthur Goodwin, although Nottingham Central Library owns four similar street scenes by his hand from the late 1890’s, one of which bears the ‘modern’ monogram in red that appears on this canvas. Another painting is held in the British Folk Art Collection at Compton Verney, Warwickshire.
This painting is undated but does bear the red monogram mentioned above. Arthur Goodwin, we know was active at the end of the 19th century but his extant works all date from the late 19th to early 20th century. Perhaps he died before or in the first world war.
Emphasis on the details of shops and public houses on all his known works suggests that Goodwin specialised in painting the business premises of local tradesmen.
My conjecture is that perhaps Goodwin was a draughtsman of some type who turned his hand to painting, perhaps in his spare time.
The painting at The Nottingham Central Library shown below is similar in many ways to the painting of ‘The Queens Children’ offered here, even down to the woman and child walking along the street, and the tree at the end of the road.
There is a great deal of perspective pencil drawing under the paintwork, which for the most part, thin and sketchy. The main focus being the business place.
The Art UK website has two oils by Arthur Goodwin listed, see the photos.
The Royal Children Inn is one of the historic buildings of Nottingham, located on Castlegate at the junction with St Nicholas Street.
It is said to be named after the children of Princess Anne, the daughter of King James II. When his reign was failing, Anne took refuge in Nottingham, arriving on 1 December 1688. Tradition has it that the Princess with a small entourage stayed a few days in Nottingham, and that her children were given refuge at the inn.
In the early 20th century the pub became tied to the Home Brewery Company, and in 1933-34 was rebuilt to the designs of Albert Edgar Eberlin, in the typical black and white mock Tudor public house design of the period.
In its original heavy rosewood frame
Sight: 37" x 23" 94cm x 58cm
Frame: 41.75" x 26.5" 106cm x 67cm
The images below are two of the Arthur Goodwin paintings held in public collections, and available to view on the Artuk.org website. The similarity in composition to the painting on sale is remarkable.
From the British Folk Art Collection, Compton Verney, Warwickshire
Image courtesy of Nottingham Central Library